Approach to excellence in wound care
It can be extremely difficult-and sometimes impossible-to effectively treat chronic wounds in a regular physician office. Several Advocate sites have outpatient wound care departments that offer the latest techniques, state-of-the-art equipment and care teams to successfully treat a patient's chronic wound(s).
Expert staff and Certified Wound Specialists© will coordinate care to help treat existing wounds and prevent their return. You will find many advances in the treatment of difficult wounds at Advocate wound care centers, such as:
- Hyperbaric oxygen therapy to promote wound healing
- State-of-the-art modalities such as ultrasound, pulsed lavage for cleansing
- Negative pressure therapy such as Wound V.A.C.© Therapy
- Total contact casting for reducing pressure on foot wounds
- Advanced dressings
- Compression wrapping for swelling or circulation problems
Depending on the wound, it may be important to address the underlying medical cause. Programs are available to help prevent wounds by guiding you in nutrition, exercise, hygiene and foot care. To optimize wound healing, your multidisciplinary program of care may include a diabetic educator, interventional radiologist, psychologist, physical therapist, occupational therapist, dietitian or visiting nurse.
Related links - learn more about...
surgical wound care
cuts and puncture wounds