Advocate Christ Medical Center's department of pediatric medicine uses four basic criteria in selecting residents:
- Academic performance as demonstrated by medical school transcripts, dean's letter and USMLE test scores.
- The quality of letters of recommendation from a minimum of three individuals whom the applicant has worked with in the previous 12 months. Preferably, these letters should originate from the attending staff that has supervised the applicant in the clinical disciplines.
- Life experiences and accomplishments.
- A personal interview. Applicants have one-on-one interviews with the program director and two faculty members. Applicants also meet with several residents during the interview day. The pediatric residents have direct input in selecting trainees for the upcoming academic year.
The pediatric residency program uses exclusively the electronic residency application service (ERAS). Consult your medical school for details or the Association of American Medical Colleges' website at www.aamc.org/eras.
To apply for the pediatric residency program at Christ Medical Center, applicants are required to:
- Complete the ERAS application form.
- Obtain letters of recommendation from at least three faculty members with whom they have worked in the past 12 months.
- Medical school transcript and dean's letter will be sent by your medical school to ERAS.
- Instruct ERAS to send copies of your USMLE test scores. Osteopathic students should submit the scores of their COMLEX exams and their USMLE scores if taken.
Applicants are advised to complete their files early (deadline is December 31). Our residency program has many more applicants than can be accommodated with an interview.
Once an applicant's file has been completed, the material is thoroughly reviewed. Based upon the review, invitations will be extended for interviews. No applicant will be considered for a position without a personal interview.
All positions are filled through the National Resident Matching Program.
All correspondence should be addressed to:
Pediatric Residency Program Coordinator
Advocate Christ Medical Center/Advocate Children's Hospital - Oak Lawn
4440 W. 95th Street
Oak Lawn, Illinois 60453