I am proud to be the Chairman of Lutheran General's Department of Medicine and to introduce you to all that our Internal Medicine Residency has to offer. I am also proud to be a graduate of our residency and a practicing Geriatrician here for 17 years. After completion of my Internal Medicine Residency, I completed a 2 year fellowship at Duke University. It is gratifying to report that my training at Lutheran General prepared me for a fellowship at a university of the caliber of Duke.
At Lutheran General Hospital's Department of Medicine and Medicine Residency Program, the mission is threefold: to provide comprehensive and compassionate medical care to our patients, to foster an environment of scholarship and life-long learning, and to work in a community of colleagues with the highest ethical standards.
The task of providing comprehensive medical care requires dedicated physicians who are knowledgeable and committed to life-long learning. Compassionate care requires empathetic physicians who are committed to communicating with our patients and with each other. These physicians must be able and willing to listen to our patients. They must also be attentive to the economic impact that medical decisions make on our patients and community.
I expect that you are the type of physician that is looking for the challenges and rewards of Internal Medicine. I am confident our residency can meet your needs.
- Medical School: Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine, 1985-89
- Internship: Chicago Osteopathic Hospital, 1989-90
- Residency: Lutheran General Hospital, 1990-93
- Fellowship: Duke University Geriatrics 1993-95
- Faculty Appointment: Assistant Clinical Professor, Rosalind Franklin University of Medicine and Science/Chicago Medical School, 1998 to Present
- Board Certifications: Internal Medicine, Geriatrics & Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- Division Chief Geriatrics: 2000 to Present
- Vice-Chair, Department of Medicine: 2006 – 2008
- Chairman, Department of Medicine, Lutheran General Hospital: 2009 to Present
- Member: Fellow, American College of Physicians, American Geriatrics Society, American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine, American Osteopathic Association, National Association of Inpatient Physicians