"At the core of every major faith tradition stands an explicit commitment to be with the sick, the poor, the alienated, the marginal, the wounded, and the dying. The commitments are very old, but the implications are ever new." Gary Gunderson
Advocate Health Care was born over one hundred years ago when people of faith in local congregations decided to respond to the needs of people in their communities-immigrants, the poor, the elderly, troubled youth, young families. They created small community health institutions and social ministries that have grown over the years into Illinois' largest health care provider.
Faith communities have always been places of healing and wholeness. Our traditions teach us that we are whole people and that it is important to take care of all of our parts--bodies, minds, emotions, spirits, and relationships. Congregations and centers where people gather to practice their faith offer community and care, engage our spirits, and lead us to reach beyond ourselves to help others--things that we all need to be well.
Advocate Congregational Health Partnerships (CHP) builds on the legacy of those who have gone before by working with faith communities to promote health and wholeness for their members and communities.
Our Programs and Services
- Basic and advanced training in health ministry development
- Consultation around the development of congregational health programs
- Practical tools and materials
- Congregational Health Assessment program
- The Center for Faith and Community Health Transformation (The Center) is joint work of Advocate's CHP and the Neighborhoods Initiative of the University of Illinois at Chicago. The Center formed in 2009 out of a growing concern in Chicago's faith and health movement about the ways in which social conditions-poverty, racism, unemployment, lack of access to care-impact people's health. The Center was created to mobilize faith communities to change the social conditions that affect people's health.
The Center hosts a website that serves as a gathering place for the faith and health movement to share information, post events, share interesting projects, share resources and ideas, and keep in touch with what others are doing. Go to www.chicagofaithandhealth.org for more information.
To Contact Us
Congregational Health Partnerships
The Center for Faith and Community Health Transformation
205 W. Touhy Ave. Suite 127
Park Ridge, IL 60068