We exist to serve. And we're serving in more ways than you might imagine.
It's part of our mission. Part of our values. Part of who we are as people. And part of what makes our team give endless effort to the community.
At Advocate Christ Medical Center, our people have made a positive impact in seemingly countless ways, many of them outside our campus. At Christ Medical Center, the clinical staff believes that care extends beyond the hospital's physical doors. That's why nurses, doctors, residents, technicians, and other staff have volunteered and contributed thousands of hours and several thousand dollars to help the community. They've lectured in high schools about smoking and alcoholism in young adults. They've raked leaves for senior citizens. They've collected food, shoes, and cell phones to be given to community members in need. These are proud accomplishments, and they continue to grow with each day.
How we're giving back.
- In 2006, the efforts of more than 700 associates at Christ Medical Center and Advocate Children's Hospital - Oak Lawn raised $89,794 for the American Heart Association during the South Cook Heart Walk.
- Advocate Christ Medical Center has started a unique partnership with CeaseFire to counsel gunshot wound victims and their friends and families in order to keep further gun violence and retaliation from occurring in the communities.
- We conduct childbirth and babysitting education with the American Red Cross.
- We created the "Look Good...Feel Better" program for women cancer patients.
- We provided holiday meals, gifts, and cash for families and children through PADS homeless shelter.
- We continue to partner with Chicago's Museum of Science and Industry to provide the Live...from the Heart program, an educational initiative that uses live video of open heart surgery at Christ Medical Center to promote interest in health careers and heart-healthy lifestyles among high school and junior high school students.
- We provide free health screenings, school-based health care, and other community outreach programs.
- Education and training of nurses, physicians, and other health care professionals. Christ Medical Center and Advocate Children's Hospital annually provide training to 500 resident physicians and hundreds of medical and nursing students.
- We collected more than 200 pairs of adult and children's shoes to be donated to families in need.
- Associates continue to collect treats for troops to be sent over to armed forces in Iraq. Thus far, more than 600 pounds of cards, candy, cereal, socks, books, playing cards, toiletries, and other items have been collected and shipped over.
- Language-assistance services, including use of interpreters and preparation of non-English patient educational materials.
- Donations of meeting and clinic space, as well as other assistance to community groups, such as the 650 pounds of food collected and contributed by Christ Medical Center and Advocate Children's Hospital staff to the Pilgrim Faith Church food pantry in Oak Lawn in 2006 and donations of enough school supplies to fill five suburban vans headed for elementary schools in depressed areas of Chicago.
Oak Lawn, the gem of Chicago suburbs since 1909.
Located just 14 miles from Chicago's Loop, Oak Lawn has reinvented itself for a new generation of families. For almost a century, the city has been known as a progressive, forward-thinking community. That reputation continues to this very day.
Recently redeveloped, its red paving bricks mark the downtown, professional landscaping accents the storefronts and street corners, and a new library and municipal center join this historic suburb. This kind of investment in the community is made possible by the village's remarkable corporate tax base-one of the top 20 in the state.
Oak Lawn is always looking to the future, seeking better ways to serve residents, families, and business owners alike. Housing is surprisingly affordable. Schools are outstanding at every level. And the park district offers every imaginable activity. Of course, as remarkable as Oak Lawn is today, the future is looking even brighter.
Advocate Health Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer