Research has shown that the transition from nursing student to professional nurse can be challenging. It is for this reason that all new graduate nurses at Good Samaritan Hospital partake in a New Graduate RN Residency Program.
The New Graduate RN Residency program at Good Samaritan Hospital is offered twice a year (March & August) and provides new nursing graduates with evidence based resources to help ease the transition from student to professional nurse.
All new graduates will complete a rotational experience for the first 8-10 weeks of employment. The rotational experience enables new nurses to gain exposure to various units and patient populations while obtaining a broad range of clinical experiences before selecting a “home” unit. Refer to Residency FAQs for additional information.
Key Program Features:
- Residency content is consistent with evidence based practice
- Expert led discussion groups & workshop sessions during the first 6 months of practice
- Use of blended learning to support didactic and hands-on content
- Opportunity to network with other new graduate nurses
- Participation in workshops geared at addressing new graduates challenges in a supportive and controlled environment
- Mentor support following completion of residency program
April 1st-May 10th (August Cohort)
November 1st- December 10th (March Cohort)
***A BSN is preferred based on recommendations from the Magnet Commission to increase the percentage of BSN prepared staff at the bedside***
- Letter of Intent
- 2 Letters of Recommendation from Clinical Instructors (If an employee at GSAM, one letter must be from a GSAM nursing leader)
- Official College Transcript to date
Incomplete or late packets will not be considered
*Those applicants chosen to move forward in the interview process must be available to participate in Manager Panel Interviews and Peer Panel Interviews. Contact the Residency Coordinator for more information regarding the panel interview process.
Mail or Deliver Application Materials to:
Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital
Lipinski Center for Learning
Attn: Nurse Residency Program Coordinator
3815 Highland Avenue
Downers Grove, IL 60515
Please contact Katie Hastings at Kathryn.Hastings@advocatehealth.com or 630.275.2337 for further information regarding the residency program.