Our Cancer Programs Set Us Apart
Experience and advanced technologies set the Cancer Institute at Christ Medical Center apart from other cancer programs in the Chicago region.
- Our cancer programs include the most common and, often, most difficult forms of cancer to treat.
- The Cancer Institute at Christ Medical Center focuses a full array of services and resources on treating, diagnosing and even preventing a wide range of difficult and complex diagnoses.
- We treat large volumes of lung and breast cancers.
- Patients with cancers thought to be untreatable at other medical centers, including academic institutions, are referred to the experts at Christ Medical Center.
- Christ Medical Center is accredited by the American College of Surgeons (ACS) as a "Cancer Teaching Hospital"-the highest ACS designation possible for a non-university hospital.
The Most Advanced Technologies, Diagnostics & Treatment
Christ Medical Center offers a complete range of cancer-fighting modalities, using standard, state-of-the-art and investigational approaches. Many patients benefit from multimodality treatment that combines radiation and/or chemotherapy with surgery.
Some of our most advanced technologies include:
- CyberKnife® radiosurgery - Christ Medical Center was one of the first medical centers in Illinois to use CyberKnife® radiosurgery to treat lung tumors, including tumors that are too embedded for removal by surgery.
- Video-assisted thoracic surgery (VATS) - Thoracic surgeons at Christ Medical Center use VATS to perform lobectomies and remove mediastinal tumors from the space between the lungs.VATS is performed through incisions measuring about 1/8 inch each, so there is no need to spread the ribs apart. Recovery is much faster and less painful, compared to open chest surgery.
- Endoscopic ultrasound (EUS) - Christ Medical Center is one of few medical centers in the Chicago area to offer endoscopic ultrasound for gastrointestinal cancers. This non-surgical technique provides supports highly accurate diagnosis and staging of tumors, and is an important breakthough for treatment planning.
- A full array of chemotherapy options, including some newer drugs available through clinical trials.
- Laser resection of tumors - a non-surgical approach.
- A full range of radiation therapies, including brachytherapy, intensity-modulated radiation therapy, 3-D conformal therapy and other targeted radiation therapies that direct cancer-destroying radiation to the tumor site and minimize damage to surrounding tissues.
- We offer a full range of surgical options, from minimally invasive surgical techniques to more traditional open surgery. Our physicians have pioneered some of the techniques commonly used today to treat cancers throughout the body.
Our Cancer Team is Your Cancer Team
You benefit from the collaborative expertise of surgeons, cancer specialists, medical oncologists, radiation oncologists, pathologists, nurses and patient navigators. We attack cancer from every angle and work together as a team to treat your cancer.
Our affiliation with MD Anderson Physicians Network® means that you also have access to oncology experts at one of the world’s most respected leaders in cancer care.
Additionally, the nursing program at Christ Medical Center has earned designation as a Magnet hospital, the highest honor bestowed by the American Nurses Credentialing Center. Most of our nurses are certified by the Oncology Nursing Society.
We are Committed to Prevention & Detection
At Christ Medical Center, we know that the prevention and early detection lead to the best patient outcomes. Our commitment to regular screenings translates into a dedicated breast health center that offers the latest mammography, regular community seminars about the importance of colorectal screenings, as well as other screening programs for cancers that can be detected early and even prevented.
Our cancer genetics program offers genetic testing and risk assessment for people concerned about a family history of cancer. Specialized pathology testing can identify specific genes related to breast, colon, ovarian and other cancers with a hereditary link. Medical geneticists and genetic counselors can provide blood testing and counseling for family members who may be at risk for cancer because of genetic factors.
Powerful Treatment in a Healing Environment
Our facilities offer the most robust cancer treatment in settings where you will feel comfortable and cared for.
- Outpatient Oncology Infusion Center - sees up to 30 patients per day for chemotherapy, hormone therapy, blood transfusions and medications. Patients can relax in our large, comfortable, brightly lit rooms during their treatment.
- Medical Oncology Inpatient Unit - offers the newest technologies in a patient friendly environment. Our 22-bed unit features all private rooms with personal refrigerators, flat screen televisions, DVD players, day beds for loved ones and wireless internet access.
- SINI Unit - While hospitalized at Christ Medical Center, thoracic cancer patients recover in the special thoracic intensive care unit-a hospital unit with nurses specially trained in the care of patients with lung and chest conditions.
- Advocate Christ Center for Breast Care - is a dedicated facility that provides access to a full array of state-of-the-art diagnostic services, genetic risk counseling, and the expertise of a multidisciplinary team, all focused on timely, response and effective care.