In order to be admitted to the Inpatient Rehabilitation Program, a patient must meet the following criteria:
- Has significant functional loss or loss of previous functional gain
- Requires a coordinated, interdisciplinary rehabilitation program to achieve functional improvement
- Is medically stable to participate in the rehabilitation program
- Is responsive to verbal and visual stimuli
- Is sufficiently mentally alert to participate in the program
- Does not require mechanical ventilation
- Does not require telemetry monitoring
If a patient presents with spinal cord dysfunction due to trauma, cancer, inflammatory conditions or nontraumatic etiologies, that individual can be admitted regardless of:
- level of injury
- completeness of spinal cord dysfunction
What to Expect:
- Patients must be able to participate in a minimum of 3 hours of therapy Monday - Friday or 15 hours per week.
- Patients are expected to be dressed in street clothes and shoes.
- The rehabilitation team will meet at regular intervals (team conferences) to discuss input from the patient/family, patient progress and discharge goals.
- Prior to discharge, appointments will be made for the family/caregiver to attend therapy and meet with nursing staff.
- After rehabilitation, most patients are discharged to home.
We encourage patients and/or families to take a tour of our unit with a team member to familiarize themselves with the program and personnel and learn about program expectations for the patient. Referrals are accepted from physicians, social workers, family members, case managers, insurers, discharge planners and nurses.
To schedule a tour or ask for more information about referral to the unit, please call the admission/referral department at 708.684.2000.
The Inpatient Rehabilitation Program participates with Medicare, Medicaid, contracted insurance companies and worker’s compensation. Patients are advised to call their insurance company or employer if they have any questions/concerns about inpatient coverage. All patients are financially approved prior to admission to the program. Upon admission, patients should bring their insurance card to confirm the accuracy of information for billing purposes.