Occupational therapists specialize in training patients how to relearn everyday tasks essential to daily living. These tasks include eating, dressing, bathing, brushing your teeth, combing your hair, shaving, applying makeup, being able to get on and off the toilet and in and out of a shower or tub, cooking and cleaning.
Specialized Occupational Therapy Inpatient Rehabilitation Services
- Bioness H200 – Advanced technology that delivers low level electrical stimulation in order to excite the muscles of the hand and forearm.
- KELS Assessment (The Kohlman Evaluation of Living Skills) – Evidence based assessment tool that assesses the patient’s ability to safely live independently.
- Modified CIMT (Constraint Induced Movement Therapy) – Evidence based program used during stroke recovery that forces the use of the affected side by restraining the unaffected side.
- NDT certified therapist (Neuro-developmental techniques) – Evidence based hands-on therapy treatment that focuses on motor recovery for patients who have weakness, typically from a stroke or brain injury.
- Neuro-IFRAH-based techniques (Neuro-Integrative Functional Rehabilitation and Habilitation) – Treatment intervention primarily used with patients with weakness and increased tone that focuses on increasing function and muscle return in the impaired arm.
- Saebo – Evidence based products and therapy techniques used with stroke recovery that focused on increasing function of the impaired arm.
- Wii Therapy – Game System used during therapy to refocus efforts away from traditional therapy and on to fun/competitive tasks, including Wii bowling, golfing, boxing, baseball, and tennis. These tasks focus on motor skills, vision, coordination, sequencing, problem solving and balance/endurance.
All of the Occupational Therapists and Certified Occupational Therapy Assistants at Advocate Christ Medical Center are licensed by the state of Illinois.