Physical therapists specialize in training patients how to regain physical mobility. They may teach patients how to get in and out of bed, use a wheelchair, walk and climb stairs. This is done through a course of treatment including balance training, coordination activities, and strength training.
Specialized Physical Therapy Inpatient Rebhabilitation Services:
- Bioness – A medical device worn on the lower leg which stimulates nerves and muscles in a weak leg to lift the foot and help a patient walk more naturally.
- Lite Gait Training — A safe and effective partial-weight-bearing therapy device which allows a therapist to assist and improve the patient’s coordination, balance and posture during walking.
- NDT Certified Therapist (Neuro-developmental techniques) – Evidence based hands-on therapy treatment that focuses on motor recovery for patients who have weakness, typically from a stroke or brain injury.
- Partner with Certified Prosthetists and Orthotists —Work together to assess patients for use of prosthetic and bracing needs.
- Wheelchair Assessments — Work with a licensed professional who specializes in custom wheelchair prescription.
- Wii Therapy - Game System used during therapy to refocus efforts away from traditional therapy and on to fun/competitive tasks, including Wii bowling, golfing, boxing, baseball, and tennis. These tasks focus on motor skills, vision, coordination, sequencing, problem solving and balance/endurance.
- Wound care Services — Physical Therapists and Wound Physicians are available to assess and treat the most complex wounds through various modalities, such as electrical stimulation, ultrasound, ultrasound mist and vacuum assist closure devices.
All of the Physical Therapists and Physical Therapist Assistants at Advocate Christ Medical Center are licensed by the state of Illinois.