Advocate's approach to excellence in treating emergencies
Advocate Health Care is recognized as the largest provider of trauma care in the state of Illinois. No one in the area has more Level 1 Trauma Centers than Advocate Health Care. And no one has a greater commitment to injury prevention, education and trauma research.
According to a public opinion poll commissioned by the Committee on Trauma of the American College of Surgeons and the Coalition for American Trauma Care, approximately nine in ten Americans believe it is extremely or very important for an ambulance to take them to a trauma center in the event of a life-threatening injury, even if it's not the closest hospital. Yet, less than eight percent of hospitals have a trauma center.
Advocate Health Care brings the lifesaving specialized care of a trauma center to communities across the Chicagoland area.
- Five Level I Trauma Centers - one third of all Level I Trauma Centers in Illinois
Most Americans don't realize that injury is the leading cause of death for children, youth and adults under the age of 34. When a life-threatening emergency calls for immediate medical attention, call 911 and follow these tips:
- Try to answer the operator's questions as precisely as you can.
- Leave a note with your home's address and home phone number for the babysitter.
- Teach young children how to dial 911 and make sure they've memorized their address - including apartment number - and phone number.
- Don't hang up until the operator tells you to do so.
Your care doesn't start or stop at the emergency room doors. We make it easy to find a primary care doctor or specialist for preventative and follow-up care.