EXPRESSIONS is a program for people diagnosed with early stage Alzheimer's disease or related dementia that focuses on different aspects of memory enhancement.
The sessions (Thursday 9:00 am - 3:00 pm) provide a safe, positive, strength-based environment that allows participants to learn, share, and engage together. Components of the program include camaraderie, support physical activity, mental exercises, creative expression and education regarding memory loss.
Activities are designed to encourage members to use their brains in novel ways to enhance memory and foster fun and engagement with others who are experiencing the realities of living with memory loss.
All potential members of EXPRESSIONS participate in a formal enrollment process:
- The initial screening interview with both the potential participant and his/her care partner is conducted by phone. The information gathered helps determine if the program is a good fit for each applicant
- During the in-person application appointment portion of the enrollment process staff gathers information about the skills, talents, and interests of each potential member so they can be incorporated into the activity program.
Joining EXPRESSIONS offers opportunities for participants to:
- Enhance their self-esteem and self-confidence
- Use their talents and skills
- Remain active in the community
- Develop skills for living with memory loss
- Become more informed about dementia
- Equip themselves to manage daily life as the disease progresses
- Socialize with others who are experiencing similar issues
- Experience camaraderie
- Take a proactive stance related to their memory loss
- Engage in activities that support cognitive abilities
For information about the program please contact Gwynne Chovanec at 847.824.5143
A typical day at EXPRESSIONS
Time for greeting, having coffee, reading the paper, socializing, and relaxing until formal programming begins
||CURRENT EVENTS AND TOPIC DISCUSSIONS
A variety of activities with a focus on creative expression are offered at this time. Choices include: art appreciation, pursuing hobbies, improv, storytelling, creating art, etc.
||BRAIN FITNESS AND EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITIES
Activities at this time could include memory compensation exercises, wellness education, speakers, coping strategies, reminiscing, discussions about changing roles/relationships, future planning, etc.
||EXERCISE AND MOVEMENT