Our Fellowship has 2 accredited positions; one is a full-time year long position. The second is a two year half time position which is available every other year and allows the fellow to work half time in their specialty.
The Fellowship Experience Includes:
- Game and event coverage for The University of Illinois at Chicago. This includes coverage of Division 1 athletes in 14 sports. The Horizon League Basketball champion gets an automatic NCAA tournament bid each year.
- Training in exercise treadmill testing with and evaluation for exercise-induced bronchospasm
- Responsibility as a high school team physician (game coverage and training room visits)
- Sports psychology and sports nutrition
- Weekly Sports Medicine Fellow's Conference
- Orthopedic rotations with internationally recognized Sports Medicine specialists
- Pro-Beach Volleyball Coverage
Sports Preparticipation Exams
The fellow will be exposed to pre-sports exams in several different contexts, including "station" type exams at the high school and college levels, individual exams in the office, and sport-specific screenings at the Sports Medicine Center.
Sports Medicine Center- On Site Facilities and Personnel:
Cadaver review of anatomy
There are several "special events" that are covered
each year. These include:
University of Illinois at Chicago
Our fellow serves as primary care physician to the 250 varsity athletes at this NCAA Division 1 Institution. At least one-half day per week is spent in the UIC Sports Medicine Center and training room. Mark Hutchinson, MD is the orthopedic surgeon who provides the clinical instruction for the fellow at UIC.