Research has shown that the transition from nursing student to professional nurse can be challenging. It is for this reason that all new graduate nurses at Christ Medical Center and Hope Children's Hospital are required to partake in a New Graduate RN Residency Program as a requirement of hire.The New Graduate Residency Program is offered year round to new RN Graduates.
Advocate Christ Medical Center and Advocate Children's Hospital - Oak Lawn invites nurses who have recently graduated to participate in a one-year residency program. The goal of the residency program is to support new nurses as they embark on the journey from nursing student to professional nurse in an acute care environment. Residency seminars focus on enhancing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
The seminars are designed to augment nursing knowledge through the use of:
- Discussion groups
- Case studies
- Role-play scenarios
- Hands on Experience
This program is based in part upon the American Association of Colleges of Nursing standards for Post-Baccalaureate Nurse Residency Programs
- Residency seminars are facilitated by content experts
- All residency content is supported by evidence-based literature
- The program is provided to supplement hospital and unit orientation
- Methods of instruction follow the principles of adult learning
- This one-year program supports the transition to professional practice
Advantages for New Nurses:
- Enhances critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Increases confidence in skills
- Improves communication with the interdisciplinary team
- Promotes socialization among colleagues
- Increases comfort in handling emergency situations
- Supports transition from advanced beginner to competent professional nurse
- Increases effectiveness in delegating to other health care team members
New graduate nurses must first apply online for Nurse Clinician I positions and then download the application materials above. Applications are accepted year-round. They must be complete and must me submitted in person during the interview process if contacted by HR for an interview.
For any additional questions, please e-mail Kristen Brown, MSN, BA, RN, CPN, Professional Nurse Educator, at Kristen.Brown@advocatehealth.com
Advocate Health Care is an Equal Opportunity Employer