Practice breathing deeply by using your diaphragm rather than your chest. Diaphragmatic breathing requires a straight back and a relaxed chest. If you are breathing correctly, your stomach pushes out when you inhale.
- Empty your lungs of air by inhaling slowly through your nose, allowing the air to fill our stomach.
- Breathe out slowly through your mouth, allowing the exhale to last twice as long as the inhale.
- Repeat this three times making sure the exhale lasts twice as long as the inhale:
- Inhale 2 seconds, exhale 4 seconds
- Inhale 3 seconds, exhale 6 seconds
- Inhale 4 seconds, exhale 8 seconds