At Advocate Good Samaritan Hospital, we help patients who already have heart disease, and those who are at risk of developing it. We offer a variety of classes and programs, such as cardiac rehabilitation and congestive heart failure management, providing our patients with a carefully planned course of treatment that integrates diagnosis, treatment and follow-up.
Cardiac Rehabilitation Program
Our approach to cardiac rehabilitation is progressive and multidisciplinary. Cardiac rehabilitation is designed to help people who have experienced a cardiac event or heart disease recover faster and return to full and productive lives.
The cardiac rehabilitation program may:
- strengthen your heart and cardiovascular system
- improve cholesterol and blood sugar control
- lower blood pressure
- help to maintain a safe body weight
- increase your activity level
- slow the progression of arthritis
- preserve increase bone density
Whether you're recovering from a heart attack, an angioplasty or cardiac surgery, our comprehensive three-phase cardiac conditioning program can help speed your recovery and reduce the risk and severity of future heart disease.
Three-Phase Cardiac Conditioning Program
- Phase I begins while you're still in the hospital. It consists of an education program and minimal exercise, including short walks around your room and down the hall.
- Phase II is a customized outpatient program, featuring telemetry monitoring, supervised exercise, nutrition counseling, stress management and learning about risk factors.
- Phase III provides outpatient maintenance through ongoing monitoring, support and education.