Community Events & Outreach in Cardiac Care
Advocate Health Care has a long tradition of serving communities and is the largest provider of community care, outreach and education in the state of Illinois. As part of this tradition, Advocate Good Shepherd is committed to the heart health of our patients and the community at large. We offer a number of health screenings, support groups, outreach programs, CPR classes and other heart-related events throughout the year. And because we know how critically important early detection is in diagnosing heart disease, we're pleased to be the only hospital in the area to offer over 10,000 free heart and stroke screenings each year.
Our Center for Heart Quality serves as a community information resource, hosting health events and providing speakers for local organizations. Classes and screenings offered through Good Shepherd Hospital include:
- Cholesterol Check and Chat - a total cholesterol screening and one-on-one consultation with a cardiac rehabilitation registered nurse who can help you assess your cardiac health
- Cardiac Calcium Screening - The screening can provide you and your doctor with life saving information about the location and extent of calcified plaque in your heart and arteries, the leading cause of heart attacks and strokes. Recommended for people with cardiac risk factors such as diabetes, family history of heart disease, smoking, abnormal and cholesterol levels. A physician's order is not needed. For more information, please call 847.842.4130.
- Courage to Quit Tobacco Cessation Program - Individualized, 30-minute one-on-one consultation with a tobacoo treatment specialist to develop a plan to quit smoking.
- Heart Healthy Eating - Learn how to reduce your cholesterol levels and cook better for yourself and your family. Classes are held at the hospital's main campus the third Wednesday of every month from 2-3 pm. For more information, please call 847.381.9600 ext. 265138.
- Mended Heart Support Group - This organization partners with Good Shepherd Hospital to provide services to heart patients such as home visits, support group meetings and educational forums. Their mission is to "inspire hope in heart disease patients and their families". A Mended Hearts meeting is held the 3rd Wednesday of each month at Good Shepherd Hospital. For more information, please call 847.842.3797.
Cardiac Programs at Advocate Good Shepherd Fitness Center
- Living the Good Life - a medically based exercise program designed for individuals who have diabetes or any history of cardiac conditions. Degreed and certified Fitness Center staff provide a complimentary fitness assessment and, based on the results and your medical history, they will design an fitness program for your specific needs. For more information, please call 847.620.4529.
- Cholesterol Screening - Find out if you are at risk for heart disease with a Cholestech Blood Screening. All it takes is simple finger stick to give you the knowledge you need to take control of your risk factors. Screenings are done on Thursday mornings but an appointment is necessary. Results will be given to you at the time of screening. For more information, please call 847.620.4500.
- Stroke Support and Education Group - Meets the third Tuesday of the month from 2-3 pm at Good Shepherd Hospital. Survivors and families are welcome. Light refreshments will be served.
Learn more about heart health events coming up.
Find a cardiac class or event near you.