The Precision of a Computer, the Experience of a Surgeon
How Does Robotic Surgery Work?
- Using the da Vinci® Surgical System, your surgeon makes small (1 to 2 cm) incisions and inserts tiny instruments and a high-definition, three-dimensional camera.
- Seated at the system console nearby, your surgeon views a magnified, high-resolution image of the surgical site.
- At the same time, state-of-the-art robotic and computer technologies translate the surgeon's hand motions into precise micromovements of the da Vinci® Surgical System’s instruments. The instruments react to the physician's every movement.
- Wrist-like joints on the robotic arms can move in any direction and become virtual extensions of your surgeon's hands and eyes. This makes delicate procedures possible through tiny incisions, with exceptional accuracy.
- The da Vinci® Surgical System requires that every surgical maneuver be performed with direct input from your surgeon. The system cannot be programmed and cannot move on its own.
How Does Robotic Surgery Benefit Patients?
The key strength of the da Vinci® Surgical System is precision. This technology offers the surgeon an unparalleled range of motion for a high level of precision and control. It also provides depth perception with high-resolution imaging and a larger viewing area for the physician.
Because the accuracy and precision of the robot-assisted surgery can help spare nerves, patients often have better function following surgery. This is especially important in sensitive procedures such as prostate surgery. Patients also typically experience less pain, less blood loss and a much shorter recovery time than with traditional surgery.
The da Vinci® Surgical System can reduce surgery time by as much as 30 percent over traditional surgery, minimizing the risk of complications or infection. Patients are typically discharged within 24 hours and, depending on the procedure, can recover completely within weeks rather than months.
To find out if you are a candidate for robotic surgery, consult your physician or call 1.800.3.ADVOCATE (1.800.323.8622).