ATTENTION: The volunteer program is not accepting any new volunteers this summer. This includes slots in both the pre-health and general volunteer program. The next time to join the hospital’s volunteer program will be in the fall. Please refer back to this website for updates.
In offering their time and talents, volunteers make significant contributions to the care we provide at Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical Center. We greatly appreciate our volunteers and truly desire to see them learn and grow. The goal of the Volunteer Office is to match the needs of the hospital with the objectives of the volunteers.
General Volunteer Program
General Volunteer Open House: TBA
Summer 2014 Pre-Health Volunteer Program Information
The Illinois Masonic Medical Center Pre-Health Volunteer Program is geared toward individuals interested in pursuing medical careers. As a volunteer, you will be provided with clinical opportunities, patient interaction and exposure to a hospital setting. In addition to providing wayfinding services for patients and visitors, you will also receive opportunities to work in clinical settings. Volunteers are leaders and often the first people to greet patients or visitors entering the hospital.
Volunteers are scheduled in four-hour timeslots throughout the day. The earliest available daily timeslot is 6 to 10 a.m., and the latest timeslot is 2 to 6 p.m. You must be able to commit to at least one four-hour time slot on a weekly basis to be considered for participation. New volunteers are not allowed to sign up for weekend or evening shifts.
If you are interested in joining the pre-health program beginning in the Summer 2014, please follow the steps listed below.
- Email Bill Ryan at William.Ryan@advocatehealth.com and request a copy of the Summer 2014 Wayfinding Information Packet. The packet is a volunteer training manual which includes the following:
- Hospital overview
- Pre-health program overview
- Employee Health clearance form
- Navigational information regarding the medical campus
- Customer Service Information (AIDET)
- Self guided test & tour
- Call the hospital's Employee Health department (773-296-5486) to schedule an appointment. Please note you must print and bring the Volunteer Immunization form with you to your appointment. This form can be found in the Wayfinding Information Packet that will be emailed to you.
- Next, please call to set up your mandatory orientation. Please contact a volunteer dispatcher (773-296-7061) Monday-Friday between the hours of 9am-4pm. Choose from the following dates:
For orientation, please bring or have memorized several AIDET scripts - see attached Summer Wayfinding Packet.
During orientation, lunch will be provided by the hospital.
- Tuesday, May 27: 9am-1pm
- Wednesday, May 28: 9am-1pm
- Thursday, May 29: 9am-1pm
- Friday, May 30: 9am-1pm
- Saturday, May 31: 9am-1pm
*Please note: The pre-health program is very popular and slots are filled on a first come, first serve basis. Please plan accordingly.
**Dress code for orientation is mandatory. Please wear close toe shoes (gym shoes are acceptable), pants (no shorts), regular shirt (no tank tops, cut-offs or spaghetti straps).
For more information, please see our Frequently Asked Questions pages for each of our volunteer programs:
General Volunteer Program: Frequently Asked Questions
Pre-Health Volunteer Program: Frequently Asked Questions