Surgery is generally an unexpected event in the life of a child, and can be a stressful time for both children and their families. However, the pediatric pre-surgical tour at Advocate Children's Hospital - Park Ridge helps to minimize the anxiety and stress associated with surgery for both children and their families by preparing them for the experience of having surgery. It also provides ample opportunity for children and family members to ask questions or talk about concerns they may have.
Take a look at our pediatric surgical tour
Touring the Pediatric Surgical Unit
The 60-minute tour begins in the ambulatory surgical waiting area located at the east end of the hospital's main floor lobby. Tour participants will:
- view a short video depicting a child's surgical experience
- visit the surgical suite, including the operating room, recovery room and waiting areas
- tour the pediatric intensive care and pediatric units, when applicable
- touch and experience monitoring equipment such as blood pressure cuffs, pulse oximetry probes, EKG leads and an anesthesia mask
- enjoy a medical play session-a therapeutic activity that allows children to role play and act out their understanding of medical procedures or surgery-supervised by the child life department in the Advocate Children's Health Resource Education Center
- have their questions answered and concerns addressed
- receive a "goodie bag" (for each child participant)
- enjoy light refreshments
Tours are offered Saturday mornings and Tuesday afternoons. Special accommodations may be made for an alternate time.
This program is offered free of charge to children ages 3-9, who are scheduled to have surgery at Advocate Children's Hospital, and their family members. Registration is required.
Or for more information, call: 1.800.3.ADVOCATE (1.800.323.8622)