Advanced Neonatal Intensive Care
Advocate Children's Hospital - Park Ridge's 54-bed state-of-the art Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) provides comprehensive state- of-the art care to critically ill newborns. As one of the largest facilities of its kind in the Chicago area, the NICU team cares for more than 800 infants each year.
It is one of 12 “world class” newborn intensive care units identified by the National Vermont Oxford “Your Ideal NICU,” national patient quality and safety initiative to improve neonatal care.
The State of Illinois has designated Advocate Children's Hospital as having a Level III nursery. This means we provide infants with highly specialized care unavailable at many other area hospitals. We also are a regional referral center. Our critical care transport team transfers more than 300 mothers and infants from other area hospitals to Lutheran General Children's Hospital to receive advanced care.
Our Neonatal Intensive Care Unit features:
- A multidisciplinary team of specialists led by board-certified neonatologists who specialize in the care of premature and critically ill infants.
- Pediatric subspecialty trained doctors available for consultation and treatment.
- Each baby area is equipped with its own state-of-the art set of monitors, medical and ventilation equipment and a bedside computer system for automated access to medical records and reports.
- Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) for infants with severe respiratory failure, and Total Body Hypothermia for infants with neonatal encephalopathy. Lutheran General Children’s Hospital is one of the few hospitals in the Chicago area that have this leading-edge technology.
- Comprehensive Neonatal Developmental Follow-up Program.
A National Leader in Quality, Patient safety, and Family Centered Care
- Outstanding neonatal outcomes- active participant in the Vermont Oxford National Evidenced – based Quality Improvement Collaborative for Neonatology and Vermont Oxford Neonatal Database.
- A focus on family-centered care. Partnering with families to meet the developmental, physical and psychosocial needs of our NICU patients and their families.
- 24-hour open access for parents to take part in the care of their infant(s).
- Family lounge with a restroom, shower, telephone and television.
- Private consultation rooms
- Private breastfeeding rooms.
Additional Neonatal Support Services available:
Children's Health Resource Center
Neonatal Developmental Follow-up Program
Pediatric Rehabilitation and Audiology Services
Donor Breast Milk and Lactation Program
Link to Pediatric Airway Center Page
Pediatric Palliative Care Program
For information about the NICU, please call us at 847.723.5386.