Cancer Care Center
The care you need to help you get back to doing the things you love is now closer than ever. Our new freestanding, state-of-the art Cancer Care Center on the Advocate Sherman Hospital campus is now open. For the best in care, we've affiliated with the University of Chicago Medical Center, one of the nation's most prominent cancer and research organizations, for our new Radiation Oncology services. For the best in technology, we offer leading-edge, advanced equipment to help our physicians accurately target and treat tumors while sparing healthy tissue.
About the new Cancer Care Center
Advocate Sherman Hospital's Cancer Care Center features state-of-the-art equipment that allows physicians to accurately target and treat tumors while sparing healthy tissue. These include:
- Siemens CT Scanner on-site for patient convenience
- On-Board-Imaging for Image Guided Radiation Therapy used to fine-tune patient positioning at the time of treatment
- Cone Beam CT scanning for pre-treatment alignment to assure accuracy, less treatment of normal tissue and fewer side effects
- IMRT treatments deliver high doses of radiation directly to the tumor while sparing surrounding healthy tissue
- Respiratory Gating tracks tumor motion and turns treatment beam on and off as the tumor moves in and out of range while patient is breathing to allow for fewer side effects
- Varian Clinac ix machine is a state-of-the-art linear accelerator for radiation therapy
In addition, Advocate Sherman Hospital is pleased to announce the addition of Radiation Oncology services in its new, state-of-the-art Cancer Care Center on the Advocate Sherman Hospital campus. Advocate Sherman Hospital has affiliated with the University of Chicago Medical Center, one of the country's most prominent cancer and research organizations. Radiation Oncology treatments are conducted under the direction of Azhar Awan, MD. To schedule an appointment, please call 224-783-8746.
Our partnership with the American Cancer Society helps provide important services to our patients
Helping patients steer through the vast amount of cancer information and patient services has been made easier through a partnership between Advocate Sherman Hospital and the American Cancer Society (ACS). The partnership allows Advocate Sherman Hospital cancer patients to receive a variety of free support services and educational information during visits at the new, state-of-the-art Advocate Sherman Hospital Cancer Care Center.
Free services and programs
The American Cancer Society provides the following free services and programs to all Advocate Sherman Hospital cancer patients in the new Cancer Care Center:
- American Cancer Wig Boutique In partnership with the Advocate Sherman Hospital Auxiliary, the ACS provides free wigs, hats, turbans, and scarves to patients, along with complimentary fitting and styling by trained ACS beauty volunteers. Wig styling takes place in the "Sunrise Life Center", located in the Cancer Care Center.
- American Cancer Society Volunteer Navigators In partnership with the Volunteer Department at Advocate Sherman Hospital, volunteer navigators connect patients and families with important cancer education and resources.
- American Cancer Society Patient Resource Center A room designed for cancer patients, caregivers, and their families that is equipped with a lending library and computers. This room is stocked with information on all cancers types and local support services.
- Road to Recovery Trained American Cancer Society volunteers donate the use of their own vehicles to drive cancer patients (and their family members) to and from treatment and doctors appointments.
- Look Good... Feel Better Program American Cancer Society trained Cosmetologists teach beauty techniques to female cancer patients. Each patient is provided with a complimentary makeup kit valued at over $200.
- Support for Recovery & Reach to Recovery These "peer-to-peer" support programs match newly diagnosed patients with trained volunteer survivors of the same cancer type.
- Personal Health Manager These important folders are provided to every patient free of charge, and help patients keep track of their medical information, support services, appointments, and everything in between.