What can I do?
A certified lymphedema therapist specialized in training should treat lymphedema. This specialized treatment is available through the rehab services at Advocate South Suburban Hospital.
The lymphedema program at Advocate South Suburban Hospital consists of two phases.
Phase 1 is the intensive treatment phase called Complete Decongestive Therapy (CDT). The goal of this phase is to reduce swelling through:
- Step 1 – Skin/nail care
- Step 2 – Manual lymph drainage (MLD)
- Step 3 – Compression bandaging
- Step 4 – Exercise
- Step 5 – Patient self-care
Phase 2 includes patient education for home self-management
- Referral for fitting of compression garments
- Skin care protection and care instructions
- Schedule for re-evaluation and re-measuring of compression garments
- Contact information for assistance or questions following discharge
If you are at risk or have developed lymphedema, contact the Advocate South Suburban Hospital Rehabilitation Services at 708.213.3825.