Family Birth Center
High-quality maternity care
Our Family Birth Center welcomes more than 1,000 new babies into the world each year. Your labor, delivery, recovery and comprehensive postpartum care all take place in comfortable surroundings designed for you and your family.
With a highly skilled medical team and state-of-the-art technology, trust Advocate South Suburban Hospital to be there to support you through the birth of your baby – and beyond. The Family Birth Center physicians specialize in obstetrics/gynecology, pediatrics, maternal fetal medicine (perinatology) and neonatology. They have the education, specific training and years of experience to provide expert care for you and your newborn. We also use an advanced electronic monitoring system that allows your obstetrician to obtain complete information about you and your baby’s condition when away from the hospital.
- 16 spacious private, single-room maternity suites
- A private lounge in the nursery for families to visit with and care for the newborn
- In-home comforts such as TV, stereo, dining area, rocking chair and reclining lounge chairs
- Prenatal testing area
- A personal registered nurse available for you and your baby. Your nurse will help see you through labor, delivery, recovery,= and postpartum care until the time you bring your baby home
- Advanced pain control methods, including epidural and patient-controlled continuous epidural
- Comfort and convenience
High-risk obstetric care
Maternal fetal medicine specialists administer a full spectrum of high-risk obstetric care in both the inpatient and outpatient setting, including comprehensive obstetric ultrasound, including 3-D and 4-D capability, fetal echocardiography, noninvasive genetic screening, invasive diagnosis and intrauterine fetal therapy.
We offer pre-delivery testing for fetal well-being:
- Nonstress test
- Biophysical profile
- Doppler ultrasound of the fetal arterial and venous system
Management for high-risk obstetric patient care includes preconception and genetic counseling and coordination of multidisciplinary care with services such as neonatology, diabetic educators and social services.
Outstanding newborn and pediatric care
Advocate South Suburban is a state-designated level II neonatal intensive care nursery. We offer superior care for your newborn, including premature and high-risk newborns.
Keeping your baby healthy once he or she is home is made easier with the vast resources of the Pediatric Center at Advocate South Suburban Hospital. You'll find knowledgeable and dedicated general pediatricians in addition to a broad range of respected subspecialists in areas such as cardiology, endocrinology, gastroenterology and surgery.
Help us anticipate your arrival and save time when you are in labor. If you are planning your delivery at Advocate South Suburban Hospital, preregistration can be completed well in advance of your due date. Online Pre-registration
Education for you and your family
- Comprehensive child birth education classes to educate you and your partner about fetal growth, breathing techniques, labor and delivery, childcare and breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding classes – This free class is an introduction for new mothers on breastfeeding. It is taught by an internationally board-certified lactation consultant. Learn the initial steps and maintenance of breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding Support Group – The free support group offers continual guidance, information and support. New mothers learn expectation of what is normal/abnormal when breastfeeding. The group meets the second and fourth Wednesday of every month from 9 a.m. – 11 a.m. in the Hospital Dining Room 2. Walk-ins are welcome. The group is led by an internationally board-certified lactation consultant.
- Sibling classes – This free class is for brothers and sisters and is centered on welcoming the family’s new addition, complete with a tour of the nursery.
- The Pregnancy Place website, offers more information for before, during and after your pregnancy.