Living with Lung Disease
The pulmonary rehabilitation program at Advocate South Suburban Hospital is a comprehensive outpatient program designed to help participants live more active and rewarding lives by:
- improving physical endurance and function
- decreasing shortness of breath
- reducing anxiety
- gaining a better understanding of the disease process and use of medications
- increasing independence
Benefits of Pulmonary Rehabilitation
Our program's combination of exercise, reconditioning and education enables participants to maximize their ability to breathe, which thereby:
- eases the challenges of daily living
- improves the quality of life
- decreases hospitalization
When you participate in the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at South Suburban Hospital, you will receive personalized attention from a team of health care professionals working together to provide a focused, individualized program just for you.
Key components of the program include:
- multi-disciplinary team assessment
- monitored exercise sessions three days a week
- educational sessions covering the disease process, nutrition, exercise, stress management, activities of daily living, medication and more
- progress reports to referring physicians
- development of a home exercise plan
- development of a pulmonary rehabilitation maintenance program
- enrollment in Easy Breathers - a hospital-based support group
- support from other program participants
- program follow-up
Patients are referred by their primary care physician or pulmonologist. All program participants are required to provide the results of a recent pulmonary function test for use in designing an individualized program.
You will remain under the care of you personal physician while participating in the program. Your personal physician will receive ongoing status reports as well as a final report summarizing your progress made during the program.
Pulmonary rehabilitation is usually covered by Medicare and/or supplemental insurance. Pre-screening is encouraged.
For more information, call the respiratory care department at 708.799.8000, ext. 3391
South Suburban Hospital is easily accessible from the Tri-State Tollway (I-294), I-80 and I-57
17800 South Kedzie Avenue
Hazel Crest, IL 60429