Advocate South Suburban Hospital's Skilled Nursing Facility provides rehabilitative care for patients who, following a hospital stay due to an illness or injury, are not physically ready to return home or to a long-term care facility. Our short-term care center combines focused medical care with personalized support services to help patients achieve their optimal health and independence.
Our Medicare-certified program provides around-the-clock registered nurse duty and 24-hour physician availability. During their stay, patients may receive:
- physical therapy
- occupational therapy
- speech therapy
- other restorative care
- daily recreational therapy
- services of a social worker
- assistance from a case manager for discharge planning
Skilled Nursing Care
Our staff is dedicated to providing quality care that focuses on the dignity and individual needs of each patient. Nurses help patients learn to care for themselves or teach family caregivers the home-care skills they will need for patients who cannot care for themselves. Other skilled nursing services include:
- IV therapy, including care of central venous catheters
- tracheostomy care
- pain management with IM and/or IV narcotics for chronically or terminally ill patients
- initial application and regulation of oxygen therapy and respiratory monitoring
- recently-initiated gastrostomy tube feedings
- wound/decubitus care
- treatment of recently diagnosed problems that may result in having an ostomy, draining wounds, fistulas or loss of control of bowel or bladder function
- teaching the patient and family skills needed for transition to home setting
Patients of Advocate South Suburban Hospital's Skilled Nursing Facility also have access to all services of South Suburban Hospital.
The Skilled Nursing Facility serves patients who require daily skilled rehabilitation therapy and nursing care under the supervision of a physician. Other requirements for admittance include:
- meet Medicare skilled criteria for admission
- be at least 18 years of age
- have no primary psychiatric diagnosis
- be covered by Medicare or private insurance, or have verification of ability to self-pay (a deposit may be required)
- be attended by a physician on staff at South Suburban Hospital (a physician assignment can be made, if necessary)
For more information or to arrange a tour of the facility, call 708.799.8000, ext. 3168.
To find a physician on staff at South Suburban Hospital, call 1.800.3.ADVOCATE (1.800.323.8622).
South Suburban Hospital is easily accessible from the Tri-State Tollway (I-294), I-80 and I-57
17800 South Kedzie Avenue
Hazel Crest, IL 60429