Oncology Services & Treatments at Advocate Trinity Hospital
Trinity Hospital uses the most advanced techniques and technologies to diagnose and treat cancer. Our treatments and services include:
The surgeons at Trinity Hospital use some of the latest surgical techniques to treat any number of conditions, including malignant and non-malignant tumors.
- Trinity Hospital offers patients state-of-the-art facilities and experienced surgeons a wide range of traumas and medical conditions.
- Our general surgeons work with various specialists, including pulmonologists, oncologists, thoracic and vascular surgeons, and nurses to deliver the highest level of care to patients.
- We have seven surgical suites: five general suites, one minor suite and one designated urology suite.
Radiation Oncology and Therapies
Physicians at Trinity Hospital use radiation therapy to treat cancers throughout the body, including breast cancer, gastrointestinal cancer, hematological conditions such as leukemias, lymphomas and multiple myelomas.
Physicians at Trinity Hospital use some of the newest diagnostic techniques to identify and stage cancers throughout the body.
- Quick Diagnosis - Pathologists at Trinity Hospital can identify the exact type of lymphoma within two hours of biopsy, allowing a faster start in the optimal course of treatment.
- Computer-aided detection (CAD) - for mammography, to help improve detection of breast cancer.
- Mammography - Low-dose x-ray screening and diagnostic mammograms for the detection and evaluation of abnormalities in breast tissue.
- Mammotome® Breast Biopsy System.
- 64-slice CT scanner.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) - Highly sophisticated imaging that uses a magnetic field and radio waves to produce very clear pictures of areas such as the brain, spine, bones, chest, abdomen and pelvis.
- Ultrasound - Sound waves used to create still pictures and live views of blood vessels, tissues, organs and other body parts. Often used for OB exams, ultrasound guided biopsy, ultrasound guided cyst aspiration and more.
- Nuclear Medicine - Radioactive isotopes injected as a contrast material, then captured by a nuclear medicine camera for better evaluation of organ function and structure. Often used to examine soft tissues like the heart and brain, to analyze blood flow or diagnose tumors. Radioactive isotopes injected as a contrast material, then captured by a nuclear medicine camera for better evaluation of organ function and structure. Often used to examine soft tissues like the heart and brain, to analyze blood flow or diagnose tumors.
- Digital fluoroscopy- An advanced machine used for upper and lower GIs, gall bladder and duct examination.
- GI lab, which features three procedure rooms, allowing physicians to offer a full range of treatments and digital fluoroscopy for precision diagnosis. Our new GI lab features three procedure rooms, allowing physicians to offer a full range of treatments.
Genetic counselors at the Cancer Institiute at Advocate Christ Medical Center help physicians identify patients who are candidates for genetic testing and can screen those patients for a number of hereditary cancers. Such screening can also be helpful for the children of cancer patients.
Trinity Hospital also provides the support services to complement a cancer diagnosis:
- Specially trained oncology nutritionists work with patients undergoing inpatient and outpatient treatments.
- Palliative care is offered in conjunction with treatments to enhance each patient's quality of life.
- Oncology-trained social workers, a chaplain and dedicated oncology pharmacists help provide comprehensive cancer care.