Sharing Time and Talent
Volunteers fill a special role on Trinity Hospital's health care team. They help us listen and respond to the needs of patients and guests alike, and add to the quality of care we provide. In their own way, volunteers further our commitment to providing excellent health care close to home.
If you have an interest in sharing your time and talents, or would like to explore career opportunities in the health care field, Trinity Hospital's volunteer and career programs can provide you with first-hand experience. Choose from any number of opportunities that fit both your interests and lifestyle.
Volunteer Programs and Placement
Because volunteers make a valuable contribution to the quality of care patients receive, we strive to place you in positions best-suited to your individual interests, abilities and experience.
In addition, our flexible schedule makes it easy to volunteer on weekdays, in the evening and on weekends.
Volunteers may request placement in the hospital department of their choice. During a personal interview, you will have a chance to discuss your interests with the volunteer coordinator. When placement is made, you'll be trained by the staff in the assigned department. Opportunities also exist for you to experience multiple departments to give you an overview of Trinity Hospital's environment of care.
A variety of hospital departments welcome assistance from volunteers. Those departments include:
- Book/Gift Cart-Sell newspapers, magazines, other reading materials and gift shop items to patients from the gift cart
- Emergency Department-Assist in patient transportation both in wheelchairs and on gurneys
- Family Wellness Center-Work at the reception desk; assist in patient registration
- Gift Shop-Sell merchandise; keep shelves stocked
- Infection Control-Perform office duties
- Library-Assist in reshelving books; perform office duties
- Marketing/Public Relations-Assist in promoting hospital programs and services
- Medical Records-Perform office duties
- Medical Staff Office-Perform office duties
- Nursing-Answer patient call lights; perform office duties; bring water to patients
- Obstetric Unit-Answer telephones; update patients' charts; perform office duties
- Pharmacy-Assist pharmacist in dispensing medication (experience necessary)
- Physical Therapy-Assist patients with therapeutic exercise (experience necessary)
- Respiratory Care-Answer telephones; assist in the preparation of educational materials for respiratory care students
- Same Day Surgery-Work at the reception desk; assist in patient registration; update patients' charts
High school juniors and seniors interested in getting first-hand experience in the world of health care are invited to join Trinity Hospital's Career Program.
A variety of health care employment opportunities are available. The two-year program is designed to fill the hospital's need for quality volunteers and your desire to gain valuable experience that colleges and employers expect. You'll be matched with the area of health care you would like to pursue in school or as a career.
The Career Program is available in the following Trinity Hospital departments:
- Business Administration
- Diagnostic Imaging
- Human Resources
- Intensive Care Unit
- Marketing/Public Relations
- Nursing Units (various)
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Care
What it Takes to be a Trinity Hospital Volunteer
Becoming a Trinity Hospital volunteer is easy. All you have to do is:
- be at least 14 years of age;
- make a commitment for at least six months of service;
- participate in training, in-service and orientation programs;
- respect patient confidentiality and rights; and
- follow Trinity Hospital policies and procedures.
How to Get Started
There are three easy ways to schedule an interview to become a Trinity Hospital volunteer. Choose the one that is most convenient for you:
- Call the Volunteer Services Department at 773.967.2000, ext. 5184.
- Print out, complete, and mail the application form.
- Fill out an application available at the security desk located in the hospital's main lobby.